Latvia | Latvijas Republika
These pdf files are available in English, German and French.
TOBACCO AND NICOTINE USE IN THE EU
The law of Latvia
According to the anti-smoking law of Latvia, smoking is prohibited:
- In workplaces unless they are designated as smoking Areas;
- In cinemas, theatres, concert halls, museums, video and sports halls unless they are designated as smoking areas;
- In banks, post offices and other similar institutions unless they are designated as smoking areas;
- In all public transport;
- In cafés and restaurants smoking is allowed only in places specially designated as smoking Areas;
- In offices, firms, and other public places smoking is allowed only in places specially designated as smoking areas.
Cafés, restaurants and other public catering establishments, gambling halls and casinos must set up a no-smoking zone, no less than 50% of the total area of the establishment, as well as a separate, totally closed off, room for smokers that will need to be appropriately ventilated.
A complete ban applies to the 10m zone around entrances to municipal and government buildings, at public transport stops and residential stairways.
The sale of tobacco products to persons under the age of 18 is prohibited. Cigarette vending machines are also prohibited.